Why is it so hard for students to be motivated?

India Michael, Staff Writer

Why is it so hard for students to be motivated? It can be hard for students to finally receive the break they’ve dreamed of. All of us are failing something, even the try-hard kids we used to go to school with. But what can we blame for this? Surely a decision we made during this pandemic has to have impacted our loss of interest and motivation to pass our classes or turn in our homework, but why?

Of course, it isn’t our teachers’ fault. Kids simply become more and more frustrated and detached with school work; perhaps it is the school systems reverting to their old ways. While it is understandable that teachers do not want to overwhelm the students with overdue assignments or zeros; many feel school is either expecting too much from students or not enough, which has had a significant impact on not only our students, but teachers as well.

Freshman Logan Silvia, suggests that, “it would be better for the kids that feel left behind to catch up and learn better instead of normal credit recovery,” while many argue that teachers cannot hold our hand all the way. Sophomore Kaylee Grizzle argues that, “I feel punished for not being able to submit all of my work on time, I have trouble with math especially, and sometimes I don’t have the internet to submit an email or ask questions that would be better explained in person. I’m an hands-on learner, and all these video and notes assignments aren’t helpful enough.” 

What does our future as students look like? We can surely count that our next upcoming fall semester will have a dramatic gap in grades and overall academic achievements; with numbers stating that students could have potentially lost 232 days of learning across all subjects. But what can we as students do now to prevent such a hard fall later? While it would have been very beneficial for us to have strong academic interventions to help us regain what we have lost over our last quarantine, perhaps it isn’t too late for our students to receive what they were missing for so long. 

While it is safe to say both students and teachers alike are plenty agitated with all the quarantines, many of us feel at battle with each other as far as grades come, and can we blame them? Just as our teachers must teach us, so do we, when participation is concerned, such as doing our best to show up for our rare zoom meetings, or turning in our attendance. While the beds we get to sleep in on are very comfortable, our attendance and mild participation are what our teachers count on to make sure that we students that live in troubled homes are safe. 

Mrs. Turner, do you feel prepared for teaching remote? 

“Absolutely not. Now if when we went remote I could. But at first, it was like, I had no clue where I’d even start.”

How do you feel about teaching both remotely and in school at the same time?

“I don’t have very many kids that are long-term, remote kids. The hardest part is trying to figure out which kids are sick or just quarantine, so I could be more lenient on kids turning in their work a little later if they are sick.”

Did you expect the results from the quarantine that you received over your student’s performances?”

“At first when we went remote, absolutely not. I expected the worse, but, I would say now, not so much since we have given so many students the chance to succeed.”

We’ve dallied plenty on students and teachers, but what about the parents? How do they feel about the quarantines? We’ve asked Mrs. Michael what her thoughts were on the matter.

Were you prepared for the sudden quarantine and online schooling? 

“It for sure made it easier to supervise what my kids were and weren’t turning in, but the only difficult thing that I can say for sure was definitely the “making sure kids were up and out of bed” and attending their zooms and whatnot since my main joy of in-school learning was getting to sleep in without any kids running around.”

Was it at any point challenging for you to take on the superficial role of the teacher?

“For sure, since I have a very sneaky son who likes to dance his way around doing work with excuses and takes advantage of the fact I don’t fully understand how his Google Classroom works.”

Do you wish you would’ve done anything differently, as far as supervision is concerned? 

“I do wish I would’ve been able to help my kids more with their work since, I’ll admit, I got lazy and expected them to look it up instead. I understand not understanding the work and needing in-person assistance rather than online, and now since school has started back up, they have no idea what they are doing.”

It is safe to say that all teachers, parents, and students alike were not prepared for this pandemic. While we may face plenty of bumps and breaks, I think we can agree we are all trying to do what we feel is best, both for ourselves, and our teachers.