From the Files: Februrary 2021

Lanea Bayless, Staff Writer

FEBRUARY 28, 1941

“STUDENTS ENROLLED IN NEW SPANISH COURSE”

Students interested in taking the regular Spanish course offered by Teague High met in Mrs. Webb’s room January 28 to begin a preparatory course for Spanish. This newly organized class is entitled the Spanish Ix class.

Mrs. Webb, interested in acquainting more students with the Spanish language, suggested the class to Mr. Gregory, who at once agreed to having one.

Students taking the Spanish Ix will receive a half credit for the term’s work; however, the credit is not affiliated. Also, one is not required to take the regular Spanish course after taking Spanish Ix.

Most of the Spanish Ix students are members of the Sophomore and Freshmen classes.

FEBRUARY 5, 2004

“HISTORY OF VALENTINE’S DAY”

Ethen Kennedy

Valentine’s Day is a tradition surrounded with mystery and passion. The origin of Valentine’s Day is as murky as the ever-changing February forecast. Yet, every February, across the country, candy, flowers, and gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine.

Who is this mysterious saint and why do we commemorate this holiday? One legend asserts that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine, realizing the bias of the announcement, deified Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine’s actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death. Death is a small price to pay for something you believe.

According to another legend, Valentine fell in love with a young girl who may have been his jailor’s daughter, who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter in which he signed ‘From your Valentine,’ an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic and most importantly, a romantic figure.

FEBRUARY 5, 2004

OUR FUTURE?

Katie Gage and Jessica Krejci

Drug abuse- any drugs, prescriptions, or the use of tobacco and alcohol- has exploded into one of the largest public health issues of the time. The social and health problems associated with drug abuse present intricate difficulties for individual abusers, their families, and society as a whole. This problem has escalated among young people in the past twenty years.

Not only is it a national issue, but it has recently hit home. As we all know, we have had several incidents involving substance abuse in past weeks. Sadly, some have been fatal, some hurtful, and some, luckily, have been survivable, but none less serious than others. What do you think? The following thoughts come from concerned Teague High School students who were asked to reflect on the issue of drug abuse and the effects this is having on our lives today.

“It seems as though it has taken over not only our schools, but our lives… As a friend, people should feel the need to take initiative of keeping friends away from them… People need to step up!” – Dylan White

“Everyone gets to pick who or what they want to be in life. It’s a matter of finding your right place that will make all the difference.” – Heather Ingram

“Your decided course of action does not ONLY affect you.” – DaVondria McDonald

“Until the family becomes a major priority, I believe that drugs will still remain a problem for kids my age.” – Jessica Goodwin

Sadly, there is still not a solid answer. Former president, Herbert Hoover once said, “…Our strength lies in spiritual concepts. It lies in public, sensitiveness to evil… Our greatest danger is not from invasion by foreign armies. Our dangers are that we may commit suicide from within by complaisance with evil, or by public tolerance of scandalous behavior.” 70 years ago, Herbert Hoover’s wise words addressed the same issue. Since then, this problem has only worsened. Who will put an end to this situation? Improvement must begin somewhere. Let our generation stand against this growing danger. Let progress begin with us!