Living with COVID-19


Kyndall Hullum, Staff Writer

My name is Kyndall Hullum, I’m 17 years old and I tested positive for COVID-19.

This is definitely an unnatural time to live in right now. We all have so many questions like: when will COVID be over? When will there be a cure? Will things ever go back to normal? We are all ready to go back to our normal lives for sure. 

As I woke up on Sunday, August 23, I wasn’t feeling the finest, but I thought it was just allergies so I took my medicine like normal and went on about my day. My mom and brother had not been feeling very well either, but they had different symptoms than me so my mom decided to call our doctor first thing Monday morning. 

Monday morning arrived and I woke up feeling cruddy, but not bad enough to stay home from school. After my mom and brother had their online call with our doctor, he thought it would be best for them to both get tested for COVID. The next day I did not go to school because we had to see what the results were going to be. After 48 hours, the results came back and both my mom and brother were positive for COVID-19. 

We were all in shock and didn’t know how to react. We had taken every precaution and did everything we were supposed to do. We each wore our mask, washed our hands, and sanitized everything after it had been used. We just could not stop thinking of where we could have contracted it and still have no idea.  

The next day was the third day I had woken up not feeling myself, and I knew by now that something was wrong because my body just did not feel right. I felt weird. I had a headache, sore throat, a little cough, and chills. I was already going to get tested that day because I lived in a household with two people who had just tested positive. I was a little anxious, I’m not gonna lie, because I did not know how I was going to react to the test. I had heard so many different stories from people that had been tested and several alarmed me. 

I arrived at the drive thru clinic and waited for a nurse to come out and give me instructions on what to do. Thankfully I had such a sweet nurse and she was helpful throughout the whole thing. She made sure I was ready and kept me relaxed through the whole process. It definitely was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I feel like many people over exaggerate and are more dramatic than they need to be. It happened so fast and it was over before I knew it. 

As I waited for results, I was almost certain that I was going to be positive because by the fourth day, I had lost my sense of taste and smell (not being able to taste is the worst thing ever by the way!) I was getting frustrated because no matter what I tried to eat, there was absolutely no taste. I tried eating hot sauce, mustard, and anything else that I could find with a strong taste and still, nothing. The only positive was that I could actually eat foods that I disliked and it didn’t even bother me. 

The next day, my results came back and of course, just as I thought, I was positive. At this point I wasn’t surprised because I prepared for the worst. My case of COVID-19 was not bad compared to others. I just felt like I had strep or a really bad sinus infection, which I could tolerate. I was one of the lucky ones who didn’t have a bad case and I recovered quickly. Throughout my life I haven’t had a very good immune system, I would get sick with everything and it would always take me ages to get better, but thankfully with COVID I got to feeling better very quickly. 

For the next two weeks, I was considered a remote learner and had to do all of my work online, which was not the greatest thing in the world. I could not wait to get back to school and see all of my friends and teachers. I had missed the first two football games of my senior year and I was pretty upset about it. I was ready to get on the field and perform my twirling routines with Keeley during halftime. 

It’s been several weeks since I recovered from COVID and came back to school. I’m feeling good and am definitely glad to be back. Stay safe out there, be sure to wear your mask and wash your hands, because I’m telling you, it’s definitely worth it.