Differences between school openings in different countries

Samantha Estrada, Staff Writer

It is no secret that COVID-19 caused many school closures all across the world. Closing schools impacted more than 1.5 billion students worldwide. However, the time quickly came to reopen and get students back to learning the traditional way. Each country has its own regulations and procedures on handling how to reopen schools. Evidence did show that children under 18 are between ⅓ and ½ as likely as adults to contract COVID-19. This evidence helped play a part in countries’ decisions on how to handle reopening. The following are examples of several countries and their steps to reopen their schools.

Denmark

Denmark was the first country in the western world to reopen its elementary schools since the start of the coronavirus pandemic. To help stop the spread of infection, parents were forbidden from entering the schools. On top of that, each child’s desk is two yards away from their neighbors. During recess, the children are only allowed to play in small groups. Children’s hands were washed every hour. However, concerns led parents to create Facebook groups protesting the reopening of schools.

Germany

It’s been two months since the openings of school in Germany. The school openings have been accompanied by quarantine and some panicked closures. In the first week, there were 150 cases of the novel coronavirus in schools. In the first two weeks, there were at least 41 schools in Berlin that had been affected. However, health experts say there have been few transmission within schools themselves. Needless to say, although the cases in Germany rise, schools have not been identified as a driver of infections.

Finland

Current regulations by Finish National Board of Education stated that any children arriving at a daycare center with any coronavirus symptom should stay home. However, these regulations go against the advice given by Finland’s National Institute of Health and Welfare, whose representatives claim that kids should be able to return to daycare centers if their symptoms ease. The final decision on Finland’s school reopenings are up to their local government bodies.

Great Britain

Great Britain decided to open up its schools during the first weeks of September. Many parents were surprised by this decision, due to the fact that there are nearly 4,000 new cases a day in their country. However, parents were required to send their children to school (unless under special circumstances) or there would be legal consequences taken against them. Regulations and protocols have taken place to make school openings safer. However, these regulations and protocols do not seem to be helping. Since the reopening of schools, cases of COVID-19 have jumped from 4,000 a day to almost 16,000 a day.

School openings around the world have been a difficult process for everyone. There is no perfect way to go about it. Many schools are struggling to try to ensure all students are safe, yet keep a bit of normalcy. It is a struggle that we as people share with countries all over the world.