When will social distancing end?

.

photo from: https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-social-distancing-over-back-to-normal/608752/

Griffin Prince, Editor

With no clear end in sight, the entire COVID-19 situation seems like one straight out of history. People are not able to work, they can’t go to school, and it seems like the world’s economy is taking a massive toll. 

Since it seems like the world has come to a complete standstill, a question has arisen. How is everyone going to recover from this pandemic and how long is it going to take?

“This entire situation has definitely put a damper on my cookie business,” Gail Griffin said. “People aren’t able to order and pick up cookies from me, and they can’t even have occasions to actually need them. Also, I don’t have access to the ingredients that I need because all the grocery stores are out of stock.”

Grocery stores all around the world are going to have a hard time getting back to the level of stock that they are used to. People are trying to stock up on food and other necessities like toilet paper, which is forcing stores to limit how much people can buy at a time, which hurts both the customer and the store. At the current rate, it’s going to be a long time before all grocery stores are able to return to their normal routines.

“Teachers are having a harder time than most people realize,” elementary teacher Stephanie Teer said. “We are having to create a completely new lesson plan for the remainder of the year, and that takes a lot of time, which we don’t have. It’s especially hard for us elementary school teachers. How are we supposed to reliably teach kindergarten students through the internet?”

Schools are going to be another major aspect of daily life that is going to have a drastic change. Many schools have already dismissed students for the rest of the year, opting for them to do their work online instead. It won’t be long before more schools follow suit either. It is going to take at least six months before kids are able to go back to school like normal, which is a big deal for both the students and their parents. 

“I think this idea … that if you close schools and shut restaurants for a couple of weeks, you solve the problem and get back to normal life — that’s not what’s going to happen,” says Adam Kucharski, an epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. “The main message that isn’t getting across to a lot of people is just how long we might be in this for.”