FFA students impacted by cancellation of Houston Livestock Show

Lanea Bayless, Staff Writer

Members of the Teague FFA steer and heifer show team are on their way home sooner than they expected due to the cancelation of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR). Montgomery County officials made the difficult decision to cancel after a local Houston man with no travel history was diagnosed with Coronavirus.

4H and FFA members all over the state of Texas are heartbroken at the cancelation.

“We put a lot of hours into building the trailer [for our project],” senior ag mechanic Drew Satterwhite said. “With knowing this would be our biggest show, it is really upsetting to us.”

For seniors such as Satterwhite, who were planning to participate in their last show, this is especially heartbreaking.

“We are trying to be optimistic about the situation and look for the good,” said senior heifer showman Allison Dycus. “But, honestly, there’s just no good way to look at it.”

Aside from not being able to participate in the show, the cancellation has also caused a huge financial strain.

Unfortunately, money isn’t the only thing that has gone to waste.

“It’s [also] the hours of travel, experiences, and hard work that have been wasted along with it,” junior Kendall Thompson said.

According to HLSR officials, the decision to cancel wasn’t easy.

“[It] has been a fabric of this community since 1932. Having to close early is extremely difficult as guests, volunteers, exhibitors, rodeo athletes and entertainers look forward to the 20 days of Rodeo each year. We look forward to the 2021 Houston Livestock Show.”