Senior Spotlight: Lanie Goolsby

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Spotlight: Lanie Goolsby

Andy Miranda, Staff Writer

From cheerleading to volleyball to FFA, senior Lanie Goolsby has been involved in many extracurriculars throughout high school.

As an FFA member, she has participated in events such as creed speaking, radio team, and showing rabbits. Goolsby was also a varsity cheerleader her freshman and sophomore year, played softball as a freshman, and ran track as a sophomore. But, she eventually left the other sports behind to focus on her true passion: volleyball.

Since the beginning of high school, Lanie knew that volleyball was her main priority. She let nothing — even her struggle with asthma — keep her out of the game.

“While having asthma has been one of my biggest obstacles in my athletic career, it has not kept me from playing the sport I love, and striving to do my best each game,” Goolsby said.

As the volleyball libero of the Lady Lions, she has received many awards. In her junior year, she received an All-State Libero Honorable Mention and Libero of the Year. Last week, Goolsby was named to the District 20-3A Second Team, and has contributed to the team receiving Academic All-District for the past three years.

Being a senior, Goolsby is already planning for her future. After high school, she plans to attend McLennan Community College in Waco for to get a degree in respiratory therapy.

“I have always struggled breathing,” jokes Goolsby. “And I want to help anyone that has the same problem. I can relate to them, and I know it’s a struggle.”