Mrs. Payne trades classroom for new title

The counseling office employees, Mrs. Neill, Mrs. Gauntt, and Mrs. Payne visually remind students they are "fresh outta schedule changes" after a hectic first week of school.

Samantha Estrada and Lorelai Harrell

Over the summer, many administrative changes have been made at THS. One of the biggest changes is that beloved teacher Crista Payne is moving from her English classroom to be the new high school counselor. 

“I want to support students in making decisions about their futures, and also support students emotionally and mentally,” Payne said.

Despite her excitement, she also has some fears about the position. 

“Right now it’s been crazy in the counseling office,” Payne said. ”My biggest fear when moving from the classroom to this counseling office is that I’m not going to have everyday contact with kids.”

Payne is still adjusting to being a counselor, but she seems to enjoy her position.

“I’m loving it!” Payne said. “I am still very busy, but I love to still roam the hallways and visit with students.”

Although she is now a counselor, for many students she will always be remembered as their favorite teacher.

“She’s just an amazing teacher. To me and other students, she is a mother figure whom we can trust with anything,” senior Andrew Perez said.