Orange and White

It’s Okay To Not Have It All Figured Out… Yet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dasie Silar

Once you start your junior year of high school, everyone starts pressuring you about what you want to be when you grow up. When we were five years old, we said things like; a princess, an astronaut, a football player, or a cowboy. Now, we have begun to use words like; nurse, teacher, welder, and accountant. Now as I wrap up my senior year, I have just figured out what I want to be and knowing me, there’s a good chance that will change.

For the most part, it seems that my classmates know exactly where they’re going and what they are going to do after high school. I do not. As of right now, I want to be an early interaction specialist, which is like an in-home preschool teacher for special needs kids. Now, this is far off from where I started at five years old. Back then I wanted to be the next Taylor Swift, and I had all her songs memorized.

Anyway, after talking to a few exceptions to the rest of my class, I have found that there are several people who have no idea what they want to do, or their ideas are vague and have room to grow. And that my friend, contrary to popular belief, is OKAY! If you don’t have it all figured out, just take a breath at the starting line, and instead of sprinting take a very brisk walk towards the finish line. It is OKAY to not know what college you’re going to, and it is OKAY to not know at 18 years old to not know what you want to do in your life. In my opinion, it’s ridiculous that I’m supposed to have my life figured out somewhat by now, but my mom still gets attendance alerts on her phone when I’m late getting back from lunch. (I promise mom, I’m not skipping, I’m just late!)

We are seniors. We are young. We make mistakes. We don’t know everything. So yes, of course, we are going to change our minds a hundred times as we find out what person we are going to be when we “grow up”. It’s OKAY to stumble in the race, it’s OKAY to walk, and it’s OKAY to catch your breath for a second, but it’s never okay to give up. So if you don’t know exactly what you want to do or where you want to go from our small town, it’s OKAY, you have some time to figure it out. Go to Navarro for a year, pick up a trade, or go off somewhere and figure out who you are. It’s OKAY to take a break, what’s not okay is to live in your mom’s house for the next ten years and still work at the same job you have now making minimum wage at an entry-level position.

Being a little lost is all part of growing up. Some of us have a very different path than the person sitting next to us. On my right, I may have someone who has prepared themselves to be 6 and a half hours away gearing up for law school. On my left, I may have someone who is going to cosmetology school and beginning to plan her wedding. In front of me, I have someone who is going across the country on an athletic scholarship. Behind me, I have someone who has decided college is not for them and is contemplating to join the army or begin their career. And then there’s me, who doesn’t have it all figured out yet, but I’m working on it, and that is perfectly OKAY!

Dasie Silar, Staff Writer

Dasie Silar is a senior here at Teague High school. She is involved in, band, twirling, NHS,
yearbook, and journalism. After school, she plans to attend...