Orange and White

The Boring Company?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Boring Company?

Mackinsey Stephenson

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, I’m pretty sure everyone knows who Elon Musk is. But, in case you are unaware, I’m here to help. Also, to tell you about his latest invention/company.

Musk is a South African born American entrepreneur. He is the founder, CEO, and lead designer of SpaceX; co-founder, CEO, and product architect of Tesla, Inc. co-founder and CEO of Neuralink; and co-founder of PayPal. He was also named one of the richest people according to Forbes and ranked 21st on the  “World’s Most Powerful People” list from Forbes.

Here’s the moment you’ve all be waiting for, his newest company. It’s called The Boring Company and is a transportation and tunneling company. (Also a subsidiary of SpaceX) It was founded on December 17, 2016, and the headquarters are located in Hawthorne, California. To solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic, roads must go 3D, which means either flying cars or tunnels. Unlike flying cars, tunnels are weatherproof, out of sight and won’t fall on your head. A large network of tunnels many levels deep would fix congestion in any city, no matter how large it grew (just keep adding levels). The key to making this work is increasing tunneling speed and dropping costs by a factor of 10 or more – this is the goal of The Boring Company. Fast to dig, low-cost tunnels would also make Hyperloop adoption viable and enable rapid transit across densely populated regions, enabling travel from New York to Washington DC in less than 30 minutes (The Boring Company website – FAQ).

Personally, I think this company is a great thing to be added to bigger cities and eventually all over because it will cut down on traffic and pollution. Which are both things that our planet needs help in getting rid of. Well, maybe less to start out with. 

Mackinsey Stephenson, Staff Writer/Editor

Mackinsey Stephenson is a senior at Teague High School. She is the editor for the Orange and White Newspaper. She is also in marching band, is color guard...