Orange and White

FFA reaches abundant success at district convention

Whittnee Stroade, Staff Writer

FFA competitors traveled to the District Convention in Fairfield on Monday. Here, awards were given and newly-elected officers were announced. Many of our own students received those new positions, and Teague FFA brought home the sweepstakes award, yet again.

Becoming an officer, district or area, takes a great amount of dedication. Due to his hard work, junior Brady Welch was named the new District FFA President at the district convention.

“It’s an honor to keep the five year streak of district presidents coming from Teague alive. I can’t wait for the opportunities to come and what the year has in store,” Welch said.

In addition to district, FFA members also went on to run for Area 8 officer positions this year. With a passion for the FFA and many hours of preparation, juniors Graysie Myers and Haylee Young are now Area 8 FFA Officers.

“Preparing for area is indescribable. When one has such a passion for an organization, he or she will give whatever it takes to reach the position they are striving for. The office requires studying things from current farm facts to writing and memorizing a speech, along with everything in between,” said Myers. “These are all tasks that were not obtained at the snap of ones fingers. However, after your candidate number is called on stage, all the preparation pays off. This perfectly describes my most recent experience, and I could not be more excited to share that I am now an Area 8 FFA Officer.”

Becoming an area officer is a huge accomplishment. With this new position brings new responsibilities as well as opportunities that Myers and Young are ecstatic about.

“Being elected as an Area 8 Officer is a dream come true! As an area officer during the summer, we will host conferences for district and chapter officers and create leadership workshops for those students, in order to develop their own personal leadership skills,” said Young. “We will also have active roles during our annual Texas FFA State Convention and the Area 8 Association Convention During the spring of 2019.”

The time and effort put into this organization by these three individuals is incredible. The success they have reached has required extensive involvement, courage, and a diligent amount of hard work. Congratulations to the new District FFA President, Brady Welch and new Area 8 FFA Officers, Graysie Myers and Haylee Young.  

“I am always proud of the kids who put in the world,” said agriculture teacher and FFA sponsor Amanda Smith. “These three do just that and it showed through their success.”