Orange and White

A Quiet Place: Movie Review

Mackinsey Stephenson, Staff Writer

“If they hear you, they hunt you.” Set in the near future, A Quiet Place is a film about ambiguous unknown creatures and a family fighting to survive, but with a twist. The creatures hunt by sound, meaning the family has to stay silent or the inevitable will occur. The suspense keeps you on edge and wondering what will happen the entire time.

This genre film really keeps the audiences focus on the events and small things happening throughout the movie, stemming from the little to no dialogue in the film. In the film only 90 lines of dialogue are used, while the average film uses around 120 pages of dialogue.

The director, John Krasinski, stated this when asked about the movie barely having any dialogue, ” I mean, at the end of the day, the truth is what I was most scared of was the lack of dialogue. It was also the thing I knew would be really cool if we could pull it off, but it’s a high wire act. Right? If you make it across, that’s amazing. If not, that’s not great. So, it was probably Day 2 or 3, I saw what the thing I was most scared of, much like the family in this movie, the thing that you were most scared of was your superpower. You started watching Emily for sure, but even these kids, the emotion and power that they were conveying without using words was just huge and so emotional and that was when I really knew we had something special.”

Krasinski most definitely pulled off the low dialogue film. But if I had one complaint about A Quiet Place it would be that the history or background so to speak wasn’t given in the movie. The movie opens on day 89 of the siege with no former information. After watching the movie I was still very curious as to what exactly started it all.

Nevertheless, this movie is absolutely brilliant. It is something that really hasn’t been done before, but cinematically the movie was gorgeous and is a must-see for the year.