Orange and White

Zamora dominates in UIL Academics, heads to State

Lane Morgan, Staff Writer

Abraham checks the news every single day, staying up-to-date on all the latest issues. He attends District UIL Academics and easily flies through the Current Issues and Events test. Advancing to Region, he takes the test again, this time with more difficulty. Anxious to hear results, he waits all day to hear the news that will define his high school career: Abraham Zamora takes second place, advancing to State.

His third year participating in the event, Abraham has had time to figure out how competition works.

“Advancing to State has definitely been a trial and error experience,” Zamora said. “I have been in Current Event and Issues for three years, and I’ve only started to make decent scores this year.”

The reason for this change is because Abraham takes the event much more seriously, improving his study habits.

“My improved scores have come from the change in my studying and test-taking techniques,” Zamora said. “I now study more often and take more time completing the test. I’ve used all the time given to complete the test, and I’ve managed to get second place at both District and Region because of it.”

Abraham has found this experience very fulfilling, especially after all the hard work he has put into it.

“The sense of accomplishment I feel is great,” Zamora said. “After developing studying techniques over these past three years, it’s fulfilling to be advancing this far.”

Current Issues and Events has also brought more benefits to Abraham than just giving him an opportunity to advance to State. This event has given him valuable skills and helped him develop his ideology as a young man.

“Current Events has made me an informed citizen, and it is something that a normal person can easily pick up,” Zamora said. “Being informed is the basis of this competition, and understanding that info from an unbiased point of view gives you an edge, so I have unconsciously shifted my political views into the center-left portion of the spectrum, compared to how far left my views were not even two years ago.”

Abraham has become very invested in Current Events over the past three years, and he will continue to benefit because of it.