Aguilera competes at state cross country for third consecutive year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jazmin Morales, Staff Writer

The best of the best cross country runners advanced to the state competition and competed this past Saturday in Huntsville, TX, November 4th. One of the roughly 170 runners that advanced to state was Teague’s very own Lizette Aguilera, a junior at our school that enjoys running miles after miles for fun.

“I love being able to get everything off my head and just run,” Aguilera said. “It’s just something I can’t describe.”

Although Aguilera was tired and nervous, she used that to motivate herself to finish the race strong.

“I was super nervous before the race, you know just being able to make it to state is nerve wracking,” Aguilera said. “I just had to go out there and do what I had to do. When it started I just cleared my mind. I needed to focus on running, and nothing else at that moment!”

Aguilera was satisfied with her results. She didn’t let the butterflies in her stomach take over, nor the heat.

“After the race I was just tired and thirsty,” Aguilera said. “It was super hot which made things difficult. I was very happy…with placing 16th out of at least 150 girls there.”

Aguilera plans to go back to state her fourth time senior year, and finish off her cross country high school career even stronger than she started.

“If I just push and practice a lot I am confident that I can make it back to state and place even higher, ” Aguilera said. “I just have to work super hard and not get distracted.”

Aguilera is a kind, wonderful, hard working student athlete. She works incredibly hard for what she wants, no matter how difficult the obstacle.